These vegan breakfast tacos with potatoes and tofu are what savory breakfast dreams are made of. Warm, salty, a little bit spicy & extraordinarily delicious.
Never have I ever turned down a taco.
I could eat them every single day and never get sick of them. The possibilities of fillings is endless and the level of flavor that oozes out of each is just *chefs kiss*.
These veggie breakfast tacos highlight two of my favorite things; garlic turmeric tofu and potatoes. However, they can easily be customized for whatever you have on hand or what you are currently craving.
They are a simple yet nutrient-dense way to start the day! Check out this page for more vegan breakfast ideas that will please your tastebuds and your belly.
Now, grab your favorite tortillas and let's get cooking *insert music and dancing/singing with my spatula as I try not to spill burning hot coffee on myself*.
Ingredients for vegan breakfast tacos
Mornings that start with tacos are superior to mornings without them. More specifically, vegan tacos stuffed with crispy tofu and potatoes wrapped in a buttery almond flour tortilla. Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- Extra-firm tofu + salt, pepper, garlic, & turmeric
- Baby potatoes, avocado oil + salt, pepper, garlic, and onion granules
- Almond flour tortillas (or tortillas of choice)
- Avocado (or edamame guacamole)
- Salsa or Pico de Gallo
- Black beans
- Spinach, microgreens, or greens of choice
How to make vegan breakfast tacos
- Sauté diced potatoes until tender
- Grill (or sautéed) seasoned tofu until crisp and/or charred
- Warm tortillas and add potatoes, tofu, avocado, salsa, beans, spinach and anything else your heart desires!
- Top with everything but the bagel seasoning (or Whole Foods organic spicy sesame garlic crunch).
Substitutions and variations
Tofu: I love the taste and texture of the tofu being in bite-sized cubes but you can also make this with scrambled tofu as well. If you don't love tofu, use tempeh, textured vegetable protein or Beyond Meat breakfast "sausages" . Alternatively, sub with additional beans and/or potatoes.
Baby potatoes: any potato will work in this recipe. I've tested the recipe using red, fingerling, yellow, etc. and all have turned out great. Sweet potato will also work and needs less time to cook so watch carefully if using!
Additional add-ins: salsa, beans, spinach & avocado go wonderfully in these breakfast tacos but feel free to customize as you wish! Roasted peppers, pumpkin seeds and pickled jalapeños are just a few ideas to get you started.
Prep and storage tips
To cut down on the cooking time, cook the tofu and potatoes before hand and warm them briefly (via skillet) before adding to the tacos. The leftovers can also be used in salads and grain bowls.
Store ingredients separately in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Vegan Breakfast Tacos with Potatoes and Tofu
- griddle or grill pan
- cutting board + knife
- measuring spoons
Turmeric Garlic Tofu
- 15 oz block extra-firm tofu, gently pressed
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon each of black pepper & turmeric
- 1-2 tablespoons avocado oil
Crispy Skillet Potatoes
- 3 cups diced baby potatoes (or sub sweet potatoes)
- 1-2 tablespoons avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon iodized salt (or sub salt of choice)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- almond flour tortillas
- black beans
- avocado (diced or smashed)
- spinach, microgreens or other greens of choice
- Trader Joe's everything but the bagel seasoning or Whole Foods organic spicy sesame garlic crunch (optional, but highly recommended for additional flavor)
- Prepare and cook potatoes: dice potatoes into bite-sized pieces (the smaller the pieces the faster they will cool). Warm a large skillet over medium low heat. Once warm add a tablespoon of avocado oil and then the potatoes. Drizzle with another scant tablespoon of avocado oil and season with salt and pepper. Stir to coat and then cover for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The potatoes will stick to the pan if the heat is too high - start on medium low and increase as the potatoes cook if needed. Sweet potatoes will cook faster, so adjust time as needed.
- Prepare and grill the tofu: dice tofu into bite-sized pieces and toss with arrowroot, garlic, salt, pepper and turmeric. Warm a griddle or grill pan over medium-low heat. Add a drizzle of avocado oil, then the tofu, and another drizzle of oil. Let cook undisturbed for 3-4 minutes, stir and repeat. Continue to cook until charred or golden to your liking.
- Assemble tacos: warm tortillas on a warm skillet for 1-2 minutes (on each side). Remove and add potatoes, tofu, avocado, salsa, beans and spinach. Top with a sprinkle of everything but the bagel seasoning (Trader Joe's) or organic spicy sesame garlic crunch (Whole Foods).