A smooth and creamy vegan queso dip made without nutritional yeast. A spicy and flavorful snack to enjoy with tortilla chips and veggies or add it tacos, salads, and more!
Queso is usually made with dairy products (cheese, milk, etc.) as well as a combination of spices, tomatoes and most importantly; jalapeños or green chiles. This vegan queso uses cashews instead of dairy products. The result? A creamy and delicious dip with added vitamins, minerals, and protein.
Ingredients for vegan queso without nutritional yeast
- Raw cashews
- Jar of nacho sliced jalapeños
- Smoked paprika
- Onion powder
For exact measurements and detailed step-by-step directions, scroll to the recipe card below.
How to make an easy vegan queso without nutritional yeast
- Add 1 cup of cashews to a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let soak for 10-15 minutes.
- Drain and rinse cashews and place into blender with the rest of the ingredients
- Blend and serve!
Jalapeños: swap for canned green chiles (or use both!)
Garlic: substitue clove for 1 teaspoon of garlic granules
Smoked paprika: substitue for regular paprika, Fronteir Co-op mexican seasoning, or taco seasoning.
Cilantro is optional but highly recommend for additional flavor.
How to use vegan queso
- As a dip with cut vegetables, tortilla chips, or pretzels
- In tacos or salads
- Mix with your favorite pasta
Storing vegan queso
This vegan queso will last for about a week in the fridge for optimal freshness. If you have leftovers, I recommend trying it as a cold dip. It's excellent!
To reheat: microwave for 10-15 seconds. Watch closely to ensure it doesn't burn.
Top tip: If the consistency is thick after reheating, add a splash of water or more jalapeño juice.
Vegan Queso without Nutritional Yeast
- high speed blender
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked, drained and rinsed)
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup sliced jalapeños (store-bought in a jar or pickled at home)
- ¼ cup jalapeño brine (juice from the jar of sliced jalapeños)
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 handful chopped cilantro (roughly 4-6 stems)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼-½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- First, add cashews to a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let soak for 10-15 minutes.*this helps make the queso smooth and creamy
- Rinse and drain cashews and add to a high-speed blender or food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Top with a dash of sea salt, dried cilantro and smoked paprika. Serve with tortilla chips and salsa as an appetizer or serve on tacos for a main dish. Enjoy!