An easy healthy cookie dough smoothie recipe that is naturally sweetened, vegan, & gluten-free!
Frozen cauliflower, vanilla protein powder, and vanilla plant-based milk are blended together and create an ultra creamy dairy-free protein shake. Dates, mini chocolate chips, and cashew butter are added to achieve the cookie dough flavor, without being overly sweet.
A simply sneaky yet delicious way to get in extra nutrients (especially protein and vitamin C). Who doesn't love cookie dough for breakfast?!
I love to have this smoothie post-workout, but it can also be enjoyed whenever you need to satisfy sweet tooth cravings.
Looking for other plant-based breakfast ideas? Here area few of my favorites;
Also if you love cookie smoothies be sure to check out this snickerdoodle smoothie too.
Ingredients for a healthy cookie dough smoothie
6 ingredients is all you need to make this chocolate chip cookie dough protein shake;
- Frozen cauliflower florets
- Cashew butter
- Medjool dates
- Vanilla plant-based milk
- Vanilla protein powder (I used Orgain Organic)
- Cacao nibs or mini chocolate chips
How to make a cookie dough smoothie with no banana
First, add all ingredients to the blender except the chocolate chips.
Next, blend until smooth. Then, add a handful of chocolate chips and blend again for 5-10 seconds. Finally, pour and enjoy!
Substutions and variations
- Sweeter smoothie options: add a tablespoon or maple syrup or add a large splash of pear juice. Alternatively, add half a ripe pear (or more to taste).
- Creamy smoothie: using cauliflower helps achieve a creamy and thick smoothie. For additional creaminess, add a few tablespoons of vegan yogurt or half of a pear.
Bananas are added to smoothies to achieve sweetness and creaminess frequently, however in this recipe I do not recommend using them. The banana flavor overpowers the cookie dough and results in a less appetizing smoothie, that does not taste anything like cookie dough.
- Dessert style smoothie: top with crushed gluten-free cookies or cookie dough of choice.
- Cookie dough smoothie bowl: decrease the amount of milk to ¾ cup and use a high-speed blender. Top with coconut flakes, sliced pears, hemp seeds, granola and a drizzle of nut butter or granola butter.
- Banana-free nice cream: first, prepare the smoothie as written then add to a freezer-safe jar/container. Let freeze for 4-6 hours. Remove and let thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes or so (if needed). Top with cookie dough or crushed cookies of choice. It's not as smooth as store-bought ice cream, but it's delicious! Mix in a splash of plant-milk or yogurt to help reach a smoother texture if desired.
Smoothies tend to congeal as they sit, therefore I do not recommend making it ahead of time/storing the smoothie in the fridge. For best results, enjoy immediately.
Is the smoothie freezer friendly? Yep! Store the smoothie in the freezer and enjoy as a banana-free nice cream (see section above for instructions). However, do not freeze and then drink as a smoothie, the texture will not be as creamy or smooth as it should be.
Easy Cookie Dough Smoothie (No Banana)
- high speed blender
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower florets
- 2 tablespoons cashew butter (or sub almond butter)
- 3 pitted medjool dates
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I used Origin Simple)
- 1 cup vanilla plant milk (+ more if needed to achieve desired consistency)
- optional: splash of pear juice or ½ a pear cut into chunks (adds additional sweetness and creaminess)
- 2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- Add all ingredients EXCEPT the chocolate chips to a blender and blend until smooth. Add chocolate chips or cacao nibs and blitz/blend for 5-10 seconds. Pour and enjoy!
Loved this smoothie? Be sure to subscribe to my weekly newsletter for more delicious eats and drinks.
Also, let me know your thoughts in the comments below! I cant' wait to connect.