These almond sea salt vegan gluten-free brownies are made with simple ingredients and a chocolatey fudge level that can only be described as irresistible (I may or may not have had these for breakfast a few times this week). Pairs best with a tall glass of plant milk or a scoop of oat milk ice cream.
Not to be dramatic, but this brownie recipe has been YEARS in the making. Making a gluten-free vegan brownie that actually tasted like the rich and fudgy boxed brownies I had a kid was a no small feat.
Also, my mother deserves a very large shoutout for trialing out a ton of different recipes with me -we finally did it! I'm doing a happy dance over here (with a brownie in hand, obviously).
A few reasons why I'm obsessed with these almond sea salt vegan gluten-free brownies;
- Chocolate. Do I even have to write anything else?
- Simplicity. It only requires 9 ingredients.
- Perfectly sweet. We are using way less sugar than most of the other brownie recipes out there.
- Personalized toppings: As always, toppings are optional but recommended and so easy to customize for any season, occasion or craving. The almonds and sea salt provide such a nice, salty crunch!
What are gluten-free vegan brownies made of?
Can you make brownies without eggs or oil? Heck yes you can! We are using applesauce instead of oil and swapping traditional eggs out for flax eggs. Here is a snapshot of all the ingredients we will be using in this vegan brownie recipe:
- Flax eggs
- Almond flour
- Cocoa or cacao powder
- Coconut sugar
- Maple Syrup
- Baking soda & powder
For almond sea salt brownies; top with raw whole almonds and sea salt.
For exact measurements and step-by-step directions, scroll to the recipe card below.
What is a flax egg?
Ground flaxseed and water whisked together. After whisking, leave the mixture to "sit"for at least 5 minutes. This allows the water and flaxseed meal to gel together and create a consistency that is similar to a whisked egg.
The standard flax egg recipe is 1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons of water. This can also be done with chia seeds, too!
How to make almond sea salt vegan gluten-free brownies
- Prepare your flax egg first. While it sits, add all wet ingredients to a bowl. Add flax egg and stir together.
2. Combine all dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir until combined.
3. Next, fold in chocolate chips.
4. Add to a lined 8x8 baking dish and top with sea salt, chocolate chips and nuts of choice. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Almond flour: I haven't tried any other flours, as almond flour keeps the brownies light and moist. Oat flour may work instead, however you will need less, plus an additional splash of plant milk. Let me know if you try it!
Maple syrup: date syrup will work, with slight taste variation to be expected.
Coconut sugar: I love using coconut sugar for the notes of caramel flavors it gives, but dark or light brown sugar can be used instead. Date sugar also works!
Whole almonds: substitute with sliced almonds for less of crunch. Alternatively use pecans, pistachios, walnuts, or peanuts! Check out the variation section below for nut-free ideas too!
These almond sea salt vegan brownies are delicious as is, but feel free to play around with the toppings to suit your mood! Here are a few other ideas;
- Hemp seeds
- Vegan white chocolate chips
- Nut butter
- Granola butter (I love vanilla Oat Haus)
- Dark chocolate tahini
- Crushed peppermint
- Vegan caramel
- Vegan peanut butter cups
Storing vegan gluten-free brownies
- Room temperature: store on the countertop for 1-2 days in an airtight container (this is not my preferred method as I find they tend to dry out fast this way).
- Fridge: Store the brownies in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Freezer: Store with parchment paper between each brownie, in airtight container for 2-3 months. I recommend not topping with almonds if you are planning on freezing. Thaw at room temperature.
If you make these almond sea salt vegan gluten-free brownies, let me know yours thoughts in the comments below!
Finally, tag @notablyvegan on Instagram & Twitter - I LOVE seeing your creations!
Almond Sea Salt Vegan GF Brownies
- mixing bowl + spatula
- baking dish (8x8) + unbleached parchment paper
- measuring cup and spoons
- 2 flax eggs whisk together 2 tablespoon flaxseed meal with 6 tablespoons of water, let sit for 5 minutes
- ¼ cup coconut sugar, packed
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1½ cups almond flour, packed
- ½ cup cocoa or cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- ½ cup raw whole almonds (or sub with peanuts, pecans or walnuts)
- handful roughly chopped vegan chocolate bar of choice or additional chocolate chips (optional)
- large pinch sea salt flakes
- Preheat and prep: Make 2 flax eggs by whisking together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal with 6 tablespoons of water. Set aside for about 5 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350° F and line an 8x8 pan with unbleached parchment paper or grease with your favorite oil.
- Combine wet ingredients: While the flax eggs form, add all wet ingredients to a small mixing bowl. Stir or whisk until combined. Add flax egg and stir again.
- Combine dry ingredients: add all dry ingredients to a medium-sized mixing bowl and stir until combined. Add wet ingredients directly to the dry and stir to combine. Fold in chocolate chips. The batter will be thick, this is ok!
- Add batter to baking dish: Pour/spread the brownie batter into the greased/lined baking pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Top with a sprinkle of sea salt flakes and any other desired toppings (nuts, chocolate chunks, etc.). Top tip: gently press down on the toppings to ensure they bake into the brownies.
- Bake: Bake on the middle rack for 30-40 minutes (30-35 minutes for ooey-gooey brownies, 35-40 for a little less of a fudgy consistency). Remove from the oven and let sit to cool (at least 30 minutes, this makes them much easier to cut)... or grab a spoon and dig in! *place them in the fridge for 1-2 hours before cutting, if you prefer perfect squares/rectangles.