A simple yet absolutely delicious vegan summer pasta with zucchini, green beans, broccoli, and basil.
I am a sucker for a simple pasta dish. Butter, garlic, and a few herbs? Count me IN. This veggie summer pasta is just that. It's a simple combination of vegan butter, basil & garlic zucchini. The flavors flow together marvelously while also tying the veggies in (adding extra nutrients, textures, and flavors).
Now let's get into ingredients and how to make vegan summer pasta 😋
Ingredients and substitutions
Buttered pasta with fresh chopped basil tossed with sautéed garlic zucchini and steamed veggies. Drooling? Me too. Here are the ingredients we are going to need to create the best summer pasta your taste buds have ever tasted:
- GF farfalle pasta (I used Jovial, swap with pasta of choice)
- Green zucchini
- French style green beans
- Broccoli florets
- Vegan butter (Miyoko's oat milk butter is my favorite plant-based butter)
- Minced garlic
- Salt + black pepper
- Chopped basil (substitute with dried basil, a less flavorful but easy alternative)
I used frozen broccoli and green beans for ease (+ they have a permanent place in my freezer at all times). Adjust the cooking time if you are using fresh instead. Broccolini, and asparagus work great as alternatives too! Or use , spinach and shredded Brussels sprouts for a no-cook option.
I don't recommend substituting the zucchini, it truly is a staple in this veggie summer pasta dish. It adds a hint of sweetness, that pairs perfectly with basil, garlic and butter.
How to make summer pasta with veggies
- First, prepare pasta. I find farfalle (bowties) work best in this recipe, but us your favorite.
- While the noodles cook, steam broccoli and green beans for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Next, warm a skillet over medium heat. Once warm add a tablespoon of oil. Add zucchini and top with salt and pepper. Stir and let sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add minced garlic and stir. Let cook for another minute occasionally stirring.
- Once pasta has cooked, drain and rinse. Add to a large bowl and toss with butter, chopped basil, arugula and steamed vegetables. Add garlic zucchini, toss and enjoy!
Here are some additional ingredients that can be added to the vegan summer pasta dish for extra protein, nutrients and flavors:
- Tofu (this crispy tofu)
- Roasted chickpeas
- Tomatoes (sun-dried or roasted heirloom or cherry)
- Grilled green or orange peppers
- Spritz of lemon
- Pan fried Brussels sprouts
- Roasted pine nuts or sliced almonds
- Vegan parmesan, feta or mozzarella cheese
- Caramelized onions
- Vegan pesto
- Green peas
- Diced avocado
- Shredded carrots
- Yellow squash
Serving and storing summer pasta
This delicious vegan summer pasta with zucchini is a great dish to bring to your next summer cookout or when hosting during the warmer months. Pairs well with white wine (or a simple spritzer) and a fresh baguette so say hello to your next dinner party entree.
It makes about 5 servings and stores best covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To reheat, add desired amount to a microwave-safe bowl with a tiny drop of water, heat for 30-45 seconds. Season with an additional pinch of salt and pepper and enjoy!
Vegan Summer Pasta with Zucchini
- cutting board + knife
- steamer and/or skillet
- cooking pot (for pasta)
- 12 oz GF farfalle (bowtie) pasta*
- ¼-⅓ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt + pepper
- 1 heaping cup each of french style green beans and broccoli florets (I used frozen, but fresh work too)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 ½ cup zucchini, sliced (1 small zucchini)
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste (I do a pinch of each)
- additional sprinkle of chopped basil
- Pasta: Prepare pasta according to package instructions (bring water to a boil, add pasta & let cook for 9 minutes).
- Steam veggies: While the pasta cooks, steam broccoli and green beans. Add veggies to a steamer or to a warm skillet with 2 tablespoons of water and cover for 3-4 minutes (or until tender).
- Prep garlic and zucchini: mince garlic and set aside. Wash and dry the zucchini, trim the ends off and then slice it in half. Cut each half into thin (⅛-¼ inch) halves, creating half circles.
- Sauté zucchini: Warm a skillet over medium heat. Once warm, add a tablespoon of avocado oil. Add zucchini and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir to coat and let sauté for 3-4 minutes undisturbed. While it cooks, mince the garlic. Add it to the pan after 4 minutes, stir and cook for another minute and then remove from heat.
- Combine: Once pasta is done, drain and rinse well. Add to a large bowl with and toss with chopped basil, butter, salt & pepper. Add steamed vegetables and garlic zucchini. Toss again and serve. I like to add another pinch of salt and pepper and a sprinkle of basil to each bowl when serving / or leave these items out for everyone to adjust to their liking!